Mother’s Day is just around the corner! When I think of Mother’s Day, I automatically think of breakfast in bed. Before becoming a Mom, breakfast in bed would be like a 12-step process for my Husband. It was elaborate because well, there was that thing called ‘time’ before having kids.
The difference now, besides the lifelong commitment to not sleep, is that breakfast in bed has to be simple. Yes, breakfast in bed CAN still happen you guys! It just has to be something quick, easy, and possibly even something your kids can help out with.
Here’s what the perfect Mother’s Day breakfast needs to be:
healthy comfort food
Make it special for Mom with something she doesn’t have very often. This is why I chose to share a scone recipe. Even though they’re incredibly easy to make, it’s not something I make on the daily. And because they taste all carb-y and delicious, they’re the ultimate comfort food. Note that I said they “taste” carb-y, but really, these scones are grain free and so super healthy for you.
This recipe also requires very little cleanup and only takes 7.25 minutes to prepare. I timed myself 😉 You can toss all the ingredients for these scones straight into the Vitamix, so there aren’t any extra bowls or dishes to clean up afterwards.
Lemon Lavender Scone Recipe
¼ cup maple syrup
1 ½ Tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 ¾ cup almond flour
¼ cup arrowroot powder
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 ½ Tbsp lavender
½ frozen blueberries (optional)
1. Line a baking sheet with a non-stick silicone mat or parchment paper
2. Preheat oven to 375
3. I feel a bit silly providing you with directions because, honestly, all you do is throw all the ingredients (minus the blueberries if using) into the Vitamix and blend it. If you can, try and add the ingredients in the order that I listed them above (ie. Liquid ingredients first). This will make the blending process smoother.
4. Use the pulse setting for these scones since you don’t want to overmix it. There are some delicate oils in there (almond and coconut) that can liquefy if mixed too much and you’ll end up with a runny batter.
5. If you are using blueberries (fresh or frozen), gently fold or press them into the batter.
6. Scoop out the batter onto your baking mat and arrange in a circle, kinda like a big cookie.
7. Pop in the oven for 25 minutes
¼ cup coconut butter
2 Tbsp maple syrup
2 Tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp lemon juice
Add water as needed
1. Place all ingredients (minus the water) into your Vitamix and blend. I like to use the cold ice cream program for this glaze.
2. Depending on how thick or runny you like your glaze, add in as much or as little water as you like.
Putting the two together
1. Let the scones cool for a few minutes or as long as you can resist
2. Drizzle my nizzle (put glaze on top of scone)
3. Sprinkle with lemon zest to make it extra fancy
4. Cut like a pizza so you have little triangles
Don’t forget the Mimosas
Dad’s – if you haven’t figured this out yet, the way to a mother’s heart is really through carbs, caffeine and bubbly. Common, I can’t be the only one!
I like to make my own juice whenever possible by simply throwing in whatever fruit or veggie I have on hand, a little bit of water, and blending together. The more pulp the better in my opinion, but feel free to strain it if you’d like. Top Mom’s bubbly off with a bit of homemade juice and you’ll be in her good books at least until next Mother’s Day 😉
The gift of time
I got my first Vitamix 2 years ago when my son was born. No joke, I’ve used it just about every single day since then and I can’t believe how much easier cooking has become. I use it to make smoothies (and scones ;)) in the morning, nut butters for lunch, soups and dressings for dinner, and ice creams for dessert. If you already own a Vitamix, I don’t need to tell you how much time it gives back to you. And as a Mom, that’s priceless.
Here’s what I love most about my Vitamix:
Incredibly easy to clean
You can make your own nut butters
Has a soup program that creates the perfect texture AND comes out piping hot. You literally throw all your ingredients in there and dinner is ready to serve 6 minutes later.
You can make your own healthy ice creams
The Vitamix does all the thinking for you. All you have to do is toss the ingredients inside and watch it do its magic.
If you’re looking for a gift this Mother’s Day, I suggest looking no further than this superhero of an appliance. I use the Vitamix A2500 Ascent Series but they have a diverse lineup to choose from here.
I hope you enjoy this quick and healthy scone recipe! Wishing you a happy Mother’s Day.
Love, peace & delicious time-saving recipes